Part 1/2: Can we use glycolic acid to get a more beautiful skin ?

 January 14th; 2014 
Hello, if you are interested in skincare as much as I am, you have probably noticed that more and more products contain glycolic acid now. As salicylic acid; it is mainly used on skin care products. We are used to hear about salicylic acid more because we find it in many products targeting acne prone skin. The word acid might be scary but it is not used here the same way we use it on an everyday basis. Those acids work as chemical exfoliants, to rejuvenate the skin and/or prevent acne; so they are very safe when use as recommended. Salicylic acid is a BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid) while glycolic acid is an AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid). Both organic coumpound are closely related.

Personally I had tried many products containing salicylic acid to fight acne in the past but stopped using them many years ago when I realized the damages it was doing to my skin. My skin do not agree with those products; it irritates me and my skin goes from combination to very dry. When I was using those products I also realized that my skin tone had become more uneven. So, when I found out about glycolic acid last year; I decided to give this acid a try as it is supposed to be more gentle and efficient on the skin. Acne used to be THE big issue when I was a teenager. Now that I am all grown up; I do not have one big issue anymore but a few concerns that I have tried to fix. Those concerns being: some acne, some hyperpigmentation, some large pores and sometimes dull skin. As you can see I have many concerns but everything is in moderation.
Until recently we have not heard a lot about glycolic acid because until the early 90’s its formulation  was patterned and therefore too expensif for most companies. It acts as a chemical exfoliant and is often use at a high concentration by dermatologist for chemical peels. This acid naturally comes from sugar cane but of course what we find in our skin care products is probably synthesize in chemical labs. Glycolic acid works by dissolving the glue between the dead cells which can cause excess dulling and clogging; blackheads, uneven skintone, large pores etc ... 

For those who do not like the action of manual scrubbing the use of products containing this acid is a good alternative because you can find it in cleansers, toners, pads, night creams or masks. As you can see the use of glycolic acid can solve many skin care issues. Well that's the theory …  What about the practice ? 
I have tried a few products with glycolic acid (see pictures above) and I will review some of them on my next post so I will let you know how it has worked for my skin.

XOxo
Dianna.H
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chiicpik. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig